Advanced Question: Sticky Mac to StaticNetwork Administration

Begin Learning Cyber Security for FREE Now!

FREE REGISTRATION
Already a Member Login Here

Home Forums Network Administration Advanced Question: Sticky Mac to Static

This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  kj2015 3 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

abrasevo
    Participant

Looking for suggestions on converting a large network from sticky mac to static for port security. I’m considering a change but can’t quite think of a way to do it on a mass scale. Solution would need to take the current clients MAC which is stuck and statically assign it to the same port, it would also have to ignore dot1x ports.

Another question would be, in your opinion, what is the best way/language/tool to script for cisco devices? Thanks in advance for any feedback.

qord
    Participant

I think python might be your best option. You could script the ssh to devices, get mac addresses, and then set the static mac that way. A decent starting point for research is here:
    https://pynet.twb-tech.com/blog/automation/netmiko.html

The “best” tool is whatever you can comfortable and reliably get to work. For monitoring, I’ve chosen to use Lansweeper (an inventory system) because we already had it up and running for general network inventory. For config changes, we’re still doing those manually but we don’t do it very often so it works for us.

abrasevo
    Participant

@qord That is exactly what I was looking for. I already have a work flow designed to get the job done I was just lost on whether there was an API for cisco devices (I figured there would be). Luckily enough it’s also in Python! As far as monitoring I have that covered with HPOpenView (just an SNMP agent) the tool I was referring to was for automation, since I know Python can handle it I should be good to go! Thanks!

kj2015
    Participant

Also you could try “TCL Expect” scripting, Expect is simple and flexible scripting language which can communicate with any device, good to give a try.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Our Revolution

We believe Cyber Security training should accessible for everyone, everywhere. Everyone deserves the OPPORTUNITY to learn, begin and grow a career in this fascinating field. Therefore, Cybrary is the world's largest community where people, companies and training come together to give everyone the ability to collaborate in an open source way that is revolutionizing the cyber security educational experience.

We recommend always using caution when following any link

Are you sure you want to continue?

Continue
Cancel