Understand Device Drivers
The "Understand Device Drivers" module provides you with the instruction and server hardware to develop your hands on skills in the defined topics. This module includes the following exercises: Working with Device Drivers, Updating or Changing a Device Driver, Signing a Device Driver Package.
The Understand Device Drivers module provides you with the instruction and server hardware to develop your hands on skills in the defined topics. This module includes the following exercises:
- Working with Device Drivers
- Updating or Changing a Device Driver
- Signing a Device Driver Package
Exercise 1- Working with Device Drivers
In this exercise, you will learn the following using Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2:
- Installing a plug and play and non-plug and play device
- Updating or changing a device driver
- Rolling back a device driver to the previous version
- Signing a device driver package
Exercise 2 - Updating or Changing a Device Driver
Sometimes, if you use the device driver provided by Windows, the device installed does not function as specified. In this case you need to install an updated driver for the device. In addition, manufacturers who produce devices, regularly update the device drivers in case there is a bug in the existing device driver or if they want the devices to support some advanced features.When you update or change a device driver, Windows Server automatically checks for updated drivers in the folders as specified in the DevicePath registry entry or on the Windows Update Web site.
Exercise 3 - Signing a Device Driver Package
To sign a device driver package, you require a device driver package that has no signature or .cat file. You first create a .cat file using the InfCat tool. This .cat file contains a thumbprint of all the files included in the device driver package. Next, the SignTool tool is used to sign the .cat file using the specified digital certificate.
Signing a device driver package involves the following four steps:
- Creating a digital certificate for signing
- Adding the certificate to the Trusted Root Certification Authorities store:
- Adding the certificate to the per machine Trusted Publishers store
- Signing the device driver package with the certificate
IT & Cybersecurity certification hands on practice labs and practice exams for certifications and skill development.
See the full benefits of our immersive learning experience with interactive courses and guided career paths.