The Social Engineering Reconnaissance provides you with the instructions and devices to develop your hands-on skills in the following topics.
This module includes the following exercises:
- Social Engineering Reconnaissance
Lab time: It will take approximately 20 minutes to complete this lab.
The following exam objectives are covered in this lab:
- SY0-501 1.1: Given a scenario, apply environmental reconnaissance techniques using appropriate tools and processes
- SY0-501 1.2: Compare and contrast types of attacks.
- SY0-501 2.3: Given a scenario, troubleshoot common security issues
Exercise 1 - Social Engineering Reconnaissance
Often a compromise in a company begins by attackers searching through social media for personal information that might aid them in gaining legitimate details or by impersonating that person to business.
The aim usually is to get access to the initial system that the person either owns or has access to, from here the attacker will try to escalate and move through a building or network gaining access to more interesting areas.
In this exercise you will complete the following tasks:
- Log into MyBook
- Exploring and gathering information
We will briefly explore some of the personal information that they might use and typical details that should always be guarded by reviewing a website.