Implementing Storage Spaces
The "Implementing Storage Spaces" module provides you with the instructions and devices to develop your hands-on skills in the following topics: Managing storage spaces, Working with storage pools.
The Implementing Storage Spaces module provides you with the instructions and devices to develop your hands-on skills in the following topics.
- Managing storage spaces
- Working with storage pools
Two objectives are covered in this lab.
- Create a storage space in Windows 10
- Demonstrate how to remove a drive from a pool
It will take approximately 20 minutes to complete this lab.
Exercise 1 - Configuring Storage Spaces
Storage in Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 provides an expanded data storage capacity in the form of additional drives. It helps you to virtualize the disk storage by adding drives in a storage pool. Virtual disks are created from the available capacity in the storage pool and are called Storage Spaces. You can add internal or external hard drives or solid state drives in Storage Spaces. Storage Spaces in Windows 10 help to protect the data. You can have identical copies of data on multiple drives in the storage pool. If one of the drives fails, the copy of the data is intact on the other drive. There are four types of storage layouts in Storage Spaces. These are as follows:
- Simple: In this layout, the data is written across all the disks in a logically sequential manner. This layout provides better disk performance.
- Two-way mirror: In this layout, two data copies are maintained on two disks. This facilitates data redundancy and data is not lost in the event of a drive failure.
- Three-way mirror: In this layout, three data copies are maintained on three disks. This layout also provides data redundancy similar to two-way mirror layout.
- Parity: In this layout, the data is stored along with parity information across multiple physical drives. This layout requires a minimum of three physical drives.
In this exercise, you will learn how to create Storage Spaces.
Exercise 2 - Managing Storage Pools
You can remove storage spaces from the storage pools and add new ones as needed. If a storage space is removed from the pool, the size of the Storage Spaces is changed. The files and folders from the deleted storage space are permanently deleted as a result.
In this exercise, you will learn how to work with storage pool.
IT & Cybersecurity certification hands on practice labs and practice exams for certifications and skill development.
See the full benefits of our immersive learning experience with interactive courses and guided career paths.