The Implementing Data Types module provides you with the instruction and server hardware to develop your hands on skills in the defined topics. This module includes the following exercises:
- Use Appropriate Data Types
- Demonstrate Pros and Cons of Data Types
Lab time: It will take approximately 30 minutes to complete this lab.
Exercise 1 - Use Appropriate Data Types
In this exercise, you will learn the following using SQL Server 2012:
- Use appropriate data types
- Demonstrate pros and cons of data types in terms of storage and size of data
Exercise 2 - Demonstrate Pros and Cons of Data Types
You need to consider certain guidelines while you select data types for the columns of your table.
- If you have a varying length data value for a column such as names, you can use varchar instead of char.
- When you specify the tinyint data type for a column such as the book identifier, then you should not insert a book with a book number 256.
- In general, to get the required level of precision for numeric data types use decimal data type.
- For currency, use the money data type.
See the full benefits of our immersive learning experience with interactive courses and guided career paths.