Ready to Start Your Career?
October 24, 2019
Kali Linux: Installing Kali Linux in VirtualBox
October 24, 2019
Kali Linux1 is a Debian-based Linux distribution. Which is meant to advance Penetration Testing and Security Auditing. Kali has hundreds of tools that are meant for various information security tasks. For example, Penetration Testing, Security research, Computer Forensics, and Reverse Engineering. Kali Linux is developed, funded, and maintained by Offensive Security2, a leading information security training company.
- Virtualization Enabled Pc or Laptop
- Minimum 4GB RAM
- An Operating System Windows or Linux
- VirtualBox (download from here)3
- Kali Linux ISO (download from here)4
Steps to install Kali Linux:
- Download Kali Linux ISO from its official website
- Open Virtualbox --> click on New
- In Name: Kali –> Type: Linux –> Version: Ubuntu (64bit) –> then click Next
- In Memory Size select RAM size, if you have enough memory, then you can choose more RAM else 1GB, i.e., 1024MB is enough for Kali Linux –> press next
- Select Hard disk file anyone will do –> Press Next
- Select Virtual Hard disk size minimum 10GB; you can increase its size as per your needs –> Press Create
- After you hit to create your Kali Linux profile will be ready –> Now select Kali Linux and Click on Start
- A new window will open and ask for a start-up disk. This is where we will use the Kali Linux ISO downloaded in the first step. Click on the folder icon and browse the folder where you downloaded the iso file. Now select the file with .iso extension and hit enter it will load the iso fle as a virtual optical disk and start Kali Linux.
- Now that Kali Linux has booted, you can see different modes. Live, forensic, persistence, install, graphical install, in this post, we will be focusing on graphical install –> select graphical install with arrow keys and hit enter.
- Now follow along with the installer –> select language –> location –> keyboard-layout –>hostname(name of your pc or laptop) –> set domain name if you have any else press enter –> set root password and continue.
- It’s time to select the disks where our Kali Linux will be installed. We will use Guided – use entire disk, but if you want to dual boot, then you will need to select Manual and then select a partition.
- Select the virtual hard disk and continue –> All files in One partition –> Finish –> Yes.
- Now wait until it is installing Kali Linux
- Once the installation is complete, it will ask to install GRUB bootloader select yes and select a disk and continue.
- When everything is installed, Kali Linux will reboot. It asks to log in type root in username because Kali Linux has a default user named root and then enter the password you set during the installation.